Thursday, October 25, 2007

Crappy Poetry

I wrote this poem at the end of last year for my English class. It received general positive feedback. And because I'm burnt out tonight thanks to THIS year's English class and don't feel likw writing any original content, I present it to you copied and pasted with no elaborating commentary at all. I'm a bit proud of it myself, and I hope you enjoy it

If birds of a feather flock together

Then what becomes of a lizard like me

Who is inexplicably linked with

Yet essentially separate from

The contrived and sophomoric flocks

Conforming to their own conformities?

Wandering in the confusion and solitude

Of stupid irrelevant High School

This game, this competition

This Olympics of plastic politics

Right in front of our eyes

Yet so obscure, so flawed

Is Bullshit

Where do I fit in this competition?

What’s my position? What will I win?

What’s the score? Why should I care?

Would I rather be ignorant

Or lethargic or apathetic

To escape this machine of idiocy?

Is it disgust or jealousy burning when I see

The girl who got a freaking Lexus for her birthday?

Or the names gracing the jerseys

worn by all the cute girls on game day?

Or that one guy who plays in that one band?

Those I respect have always told me

To be myself

And a great deal of good honesty has done for me

Honesty the world looks past

Seeing only false reputations

Caused by misunderstanding and circumstance

Now the world accuses me of being a creep

Or a weirdo or an asshole or a god or a berserker

Or whatever

If that’s the reward for honesty

Then maybe a mask would be preferable

Mask or not, it would make no difference

The world wouldn’t know me either way

If my self image is not skewed

Then it feels the world does not accept me

But it is not acceptance I seek

For if the world accepts each other

Then maybe my solitude is preferable to their ignorance

At least where ever I am is a place

Of conscience and consciousness

I pray high school is not a microcosm

For life in the real world

Because this really sucks dick


I'm not a negative person, really, I swear.

No comments: