Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Brief Observation of New Slang

3oth post... Ok, moving on.

I am generally supportive of slang. It offers spice to the dull grilled cheese of language. Although some recent additions to the colloquial jargon, like most recent additions to anything ever, strikes an ill chord with me. It is my staunch belief that such words must die in a fire, or be found in a ditch, defecated upon.

GOOD new slang words include:
Dece. Pronounced "deess", and short for decent. Can be used to describe one's general physical appearence or most other things as passable, preferable among most, yet not outstanding.
Ridonk. Short for ridonkulous, a variant of ridiculous. Has yet to become common, but I sense it is on the rise.

BAD new slang words:
Cash. Pronounced "caj", and short for casual. Often used by guidos, bros, and spoiled Westlake kids. It makes me want to puke. No, scratch that. I'd never WANT to puke. Puking sucks.
Awkward. Has entered mainstream use in much the same way awesome has; it is an actual word, and is often applied correctly, but Awkward is not immune to mortality, unlike its 80's cousin.
Random. Whenever somebody says random in reference to something that is not random at all, I must apply a lottery comparison. The following is based on an actual exchange that occurred this morning:
"So Fable is, like, just this randomly awesome game."
"Really? Randomly, eh? So it had equal chance of being awesome or terrible? But they randomly selected it to be awesome? Lucky it."


Coming soon: A Brief Journal of a Camp Counselor and Pantstown Commentary.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I use 'random' erroneously. Not as bad as in your example but still. I know it's dumb but it's hard to shake.