Sunday, December 16, 2007

Music

This post will not have a point, structure, or direction whatsoever. It is simply a stream of consciousness, so it may be rather confusing. Or maybe it won't.

What's the deal with music? I recently came to a revelation that I really don't give two shits about music at all, despite the fact I may seem very adamant about the preservation of rock and roll. I don't even really listen to rock. For me, music is something to hear, and not to listen to, while I'm driving or working. Everybody else seems to be partially defined by the music that they listen to. Some people are consumed by music and aren't even musicians. Maybe that's why the idea of concerts never appealed to me.

I do not deny music can move you feet and your emotions. And that's great. But I don't really like the idea of being a fan of a certain band or artist. A fan of a certain song or album? That's much easier to get into or to keep track of. When you think about it, it takes quite a lot of time , money, and effort to get into a whole new band. For me, it has always sufficed to listen to a band's Best Of compilation or most famous album.

I will never stop appreciating the spirit of rock in all of its forms, but rock has not made me a different person whatsoever. Music is a simply fun diversion that has had zero impact on my life or personality, however it seems to me the same could not be said about many others.

No comments: